Thursday, April 11, 2013

Temples of the Holy Spirit


My body is no longer just mine.  It has been consecrated to God through Baptism and Confirmation.  I have chosen to allow the Holy Spirit to live and move in me.  But, I don't always treat my body as a temple of the Holy Spirit.  I do not exercise enough, I do not eat properly, I do not do everything I can to keep my body healthy and strong.  And, I do not always care for my heart and soul as I should because I sin and I am broken by sin.  But I know that my body was purchased for a price by Jesus on the cross.  He shed His Precious Blood for my sake and He washes me clean through the sacrament of Reconciliation.  I need to treat my body with the dignity and respect it deserves because God's Holy Spirit lives within me.

It is God's presence within us that we need to acknowledge.  Our hands are God's hands touching, blessing, and healing others.  Our eyes are God's eyes gazing with love on others.  Our feet are God's feet carrying us to do His will each day.  Our hearts are God's heart loving those around us.  And, our words are at times the Holy Spirit's words blessing and edifying others.  Our bodies are truly temples of the Holy Spirit.  Let's consecrate them to God and do all we can not to defile them.

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the holy Spirit within you, which you have from God, and that you are not your own?  For you were bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body." (1 Corinthians 4:4 NRSV)

No comments:

Post a Comment