Monday, April 1, 2013

Choices


In that fraction of a second between stimulus and response we have a choice to make.  Will our choice glorify God and be pleasing to Him or will it not?  It is so easy to forget that by free will we are constantly making choices, large and small that affect our state of grace.
I can honestly say, I do not always make the choice that pleases God or blesses Him.  Frequently I make a choice quickly without any thought.  For example, driving in the car, someone cuts me off, and next thing I know I am judging that person and most likely calling him or her some kind of name that isn't very nice.  In that moment when I chose to react, I chose without any forethought.  I just reacted unkindly.  
What I need to do is be more aware of my choices, all of them.  Many times when I am making a choice I am overly concerned with what others will think of my decision.  I want their approval and support more than I think about how what I am planning to do will be a blessing to others and God.  The bottom line is what is more important to me, pleasing men or pleasing God?  And I ask why can’t my choice be pleasing to both God and man?  I suppose if I spent more time praying and listening I would please both more frequently.
I know others may not approve of, understand or like some of the choices I will make, but they do not hold the keys to the kingdom of heaven, God does.  If I could just remember that when I am choosing to act or react, I am sure God would help me change and become a better person, a more loving person who focuses on what He desires for me.
"Am I now seeking human approval, or God's approval? (Galatians 1:10 NRSV)

No comments:

Post a Comment