Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Bless and Curse


"With their mouths they bless, but in their hearts they curse." (Psalm 62:4 NIV)

Reading this verse brings very specific memories to mind.  I hate to admit this but sometimes after having spent an hour or so in Mass and having received Jesus in Holy Communion I go out into the parking lot to leave.  It's jammed with people walking and with others trying to pull their cars out.  And instead of being patient and loving I think unkind things in my heart.  How terrible is that?  I just sang hymns, said prayers, communed with the King of Kings and in my heart I am being mean.  

In the parking lot, my thoughts should be like Christ's - loving, kind and nonjudgmental.  This is especially true after having just received the greatest gift I can ever receive outside of salvation, Jesus in Holy Eucharist.  My focus should be on the Lord of Lords Who is dwelling within me not on the actions of others.  My heart and mind should be so filled with joy that nothing is upsetting or disturbing.

The good news is that God does not want us to dwell on our mistakes and sins, but rather confess them and allow our hearts to be blessed with His grace and His healing love.  He does not condemn us, but rather He urges us to acknowledge the areas in our lives that need to be transformed and offers us the courage and strength to change.  He wants us to walk in unison with Him deeply immersed in His love.

I am ever so grateful for the Sacrament of Reconciliation.  For through it I receive healing, forgiveness, and a restoration of grace so that I can go forth and attempt to live my life in a Christlike manner.  Without this great sacrament I would wallow in guilt and shame and do little or nothing that pleases or blesses the Lord.  Thank God we have this great gift available to us.


No comments:

Post a Comment