Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Spiritual Gifts


Okay, I have to admit at times I am afraid of using the gifts God has given me.  I fear rejection by others.  I fear people judging me or making fun of me.  I even fear that I won’t use the right gift at the right time.  What’s the common thread here?  Fear, plain and simple.  Maybe my fears are just Satan trying to keep me from letting God’s gifts be manifest in my life because he knows when God is actively using me he cannot. 

I know that the Holy Spirit determines what gifts will become active, within whom, when, and for what purpose.  It is my job to be open and willing to embrace each of the gifts so that God’s love can flow freely from within me out to others.   I know that all His gifts are for my edification and the edification of others.  And, I know that spiritual gifts are a blessing I should be grateful for.  I realize that when I utilize the gifts God has given me as He wishes I am going to have peace and joy.  But I still hesitate to let God use me.  I have a hard time trusting that I will get it right.  I’m afraid I will do something wrong and hurt myself or others.  I trust God I don’t trust myself.

I suppose I need to get out of God’s way and just let Him move in my life.  What I think or what others do or say shouldn’t matter.  It’s really all about letting God do His work in me and through me for His honor and glory.  So I guess I will listen carefully and prayerfully use the gifts God is calling me to use when I believe He wants me to use them.

“Pursue love and strive for the spiritual gifts.” (1 Corinthians 14:1 NRSV)

No comments:

Post a Comment