Thursday, April 18, 2013

Reckless words


I don’t know about you, but there have been many times in my life when I have unintentionally hurt others with my words.  It may have been a grieving friend; a confused or upset child; an angry or hurt co-worker; someone interfering in my life; my parents or spouse.  Without really thinking through what I was going to say I’ve blurted out words that I did not intend as upsetting or wounding but they were.   And that hurt has at times caused strain in those relationships.  And, that was certainly not my intent.

If I had taken a moment while listening to ask the Holy Spirit to bless my ears so I would hear what He wanted me to hear and respond in the way He wanted me to respond I may have avoided hurting those I care for.  I know this, but it is so easy to get caught up in the moment and forget to ask for wisdom and guidance.

There’s a short prayer my mom taught me as a child.  It has always been a blessing to me when I pray it.  It’s very simply:

Come Holy Spirit with all Your gifts and graces.  Bless my every thought, word, and action.  Amen.

I pray that it becomes a prayer of blessing for you as well. 

“The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.” (Proverbs 12:18)

No comments:

Post a Comment