Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Love and Pray

“But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”  (Matthew 5:44 NIV)
To love those who do harm to us or those we love is not easy.  To pray for those who afflict, torment, badger, or annoy us or those we love is not easy either.  But, Jesus calls us to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us.  He calls us to love everyone - completely.  He calls us to be life giving to one another to look beyond the attitudes and actions of our enemies and see their hearts and souls.  
Jesus asks us to pray in all circumstances, to lift our hearts in prayer for those who persecute us.  Because if our eyes are lifted in prayer, our eyes are not focused on our enemies’ actions or how they affect us or our loved ones but rather on how we can bless them and be examples of love and mercy for them.  If we firmly fix our eyes on Jesus and ask Him to bless and transform our enemies we will start to see Him within them and find we are not annoyed by them but at peace in Christ.
Jesus is in every person and there in every situation.  He is there waiting for us to recognize His presence and give Him thanks.  He loves all people and so must we.  Love is not befriending, love is wanting what is best for another and placing others before ourselves in Christ.  Love is a decision, an act of will.  It at times requires pain and sacrifice.  But to love is to live in Christ and for Him to live in and through us.  May we love as He loves.
Prayer:
Lord Jesus, You call me to love my enemies and pray for those who persecute me.  I ask for the ability to love them as You love them and for Your peace in my heart.  Help me to keep My eyes on You and Your presence in every situation so that I can continually give You thanks and praise.  Bless me and those who desire to harm me or those I love.  Thank You, Lord.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment